|::Departments : Clinical : Department of Orthopedics|
The Department of Orthopaedics in Govt., Mohan kumaramangalam medical college started functioning since the inception of the college in 1990. This college and Hospital is affiliated to the Tamil Nadu DR. M.G.R university since its inception.
Being a tertiary care referral centre, the department has been in service to cater almost ten districts surrounding salem with major referrals from Dharmapuri,Namakkal,Erode,villupuram, krishnagiri and cuddalore districts.
Apart from treating various complex polytraumas, the various subspecialty surgeries like Arthroplasty,Arthroscopy & sports injures , spine, hand surgery and deformity correction are routinely done.
The department successfully conducted the Orthopaedic State conference ( TNOACON 2015) in salem .
The department is involved in medical (undergraduate and postgraduate ) and paramedical ( nursing, plaster techinician ) courses.
The academic teaching module is as follows
1.Postgraduates have clinical case presentation classes by unit chiefs - 3 days a week.
2.Daily they have one hour case presentation /powerpoint topic presentation with DAOS.
3.Clinical symposium are conducted once a month.
4.To attend elective OT twice a week and emergency OT twice a week.
5.Model theory exam and clinical case examination are conducted every month .
6.Students are encouraged to attend conferences, quizzes and CME programmes..
7. Orthopaedic quiz for undergraduates once an year ( November)
8.Medal exam for undergraduates once an year ( December)
ADVANCED PG TEACHING PROGRAMME
||Pre –operative planning
||Post –operative review meeting
Research and Publication:
Papers presented in Conferences
The following papers were presented at TamilNaduOrthopedic association conference 2001 Trichy.
This paper was presented at TNOA conference 2002, at Coimbatore by Dr.C.Kamalanathan
- Intercondylar #s of distal Humerus – Internal fixation by Trans olecranon approach by Dr.C.Kamalanathan
- Non-Hodgkins lymphoma of bone by Dr.Mannivannan
- Giant cell tumor of distal Radius – Wide excision and fibular arthroplasty.
- Dorso Lumbar spinal injuries – Surgical management – Paper presented in TNOA conference 2006, at Chennai by Dr.Pasupathy
- Perthe’s disease – Surgical management by derotation osteotomy – Paper presented in TNOA conference 2006, at Chennai by Dr.R.T.Parthasarathy
- Osteoclastoma of Femur – Resection of tumor and bone transport – paper presented in TNOA conference at Chennai.
- Malignant Giant Cell tumor lower end of Femur – Resection Arthrodesis using LRS Paper presented in TNOA conference at Erode in Feb 2007 by A.D Sampath Kumar , GMKMCH, Salem.
- Managemant of distal humerus #s by Trans olecranon approach. Paper presented at TNOA conference at Erode 2007 by Dr.R.T.Parthasarathy
- Functional outcome of middle third clavicular fractures treated by open reduction and internal fixationnyDr.Subramani in TNOACON 2014.
- Unstable intertrochanteric fracture treated with proximal femoral nailing by Dr.Guruprasath in TNOACON 2014.
- Measurement of femoral component rotational alignment in unnavigated TKR by Dr.Dinesh in OASISCON 2014
- PCL avulsion fracture treated by ORIF through Burks and schaffer approach by Dr.Subramani in TNOACON 2015.
- Management of recurrent anterior dislocation of shoulder treated with modified Boytchev procedure by Dr.subramani in TNOACON 2015.
- Treatment of distal femoral fractures with distal femur locking compression plate- Our experience by Dr.Mugundan in TNOACON 2015.
- A simple and accurate preoperative method of estimation of femoral and tibial nail lengths using forearm as a reference byDr.Obulivijay Shankar in TNOACON 2015.
- Surgical treatment of aneurysmal bone cyst –Our experience by Dr.S.Kumar in TNOACON 2015.
- Role of Ilizarov ring fixator in management of pediatric fractures Poster presented at IOA conference at Chennai in Dec 2003
- Bilateral traumatic Hip dislocation poster presented at IOA conference 2006 at Mumbai by Dr.Karikalan
- Bilateral traumatic dislocation of Hip poster presented at TNOA conference 2008 by Dr.Karikalan
- Managemant of Giant Cell Tumor distal Radius by Excision and Fibular arthroplasty. Poster presentation in TNOA conference 2008 by Dr.R.T.Parthasarathy
- Management of Giant Cell Tumor distal Femur by Excision and LRS. Poster presented in TNOA conference 2009
- Two cases of Enchondroma - Poster presented in TNOA conference 2010 By Dr. M. Yuganeshwaran
- Giant cell tumour in Diaphysis – A Case Report By Dr. M. Yuganeshwaran in TNOA conference in 2011.
- Management of PNET Humerus by Excision and Fibular Grafting – TNOACON 2009 in Coimbatore.
- Ray transportation for enchondroma finger – a case report byDr.K.Vanangamudi in OASISCON 2010.
- Rare case of type IV epiphyseal injury in proximal humerus-Dr.S.Jayakrishnan in TNOACON 2012
- Total talus dislocation without Bimalleolar fracture – Dr.Subramani in OASISCON 2014
- Chondroblastoma at rare sites treated by two different methods-Dr.Dinesh in OASISCON 2014
- Radial head replacement by Dr.Mugundan in OASISCON 2014
- Imoacted K-nail removal by vertical osteotomy-Dr.Vijayashankar in OASISCON 2014
- TENS in paediatric long bone fractures by Dr.GuruPrasath in paediatricorthopaedic society of India conference.
- Giant cell tumour Patella by Dr.Subramani in TNOA 2015
- Case of chondromyxoid fibroma-Distal tibia by Dr.Obulivijay Shankar in TNOACON 2015
- First rib osteochondroma presenting as thoracic outlet obstruction and prominent clavicle by Dr.Subramani in TNOACON 2015
- Haemangioma causing periosteal reaction and cortical hypertrophy –a frequently missed radiological diagnosis by Dr. K. Vijaya Shankar in TNOACON 2015
Publications in Journals
Prizes and Awards won:
- A case of Deltoid fibrosis – article published in TNOA Journal 2001, Vol. 27 2001. Author – Dr.P.NedunthuraiKoe, Prof. K. Prakasam, Prof. S. Elangovan
- A case of congenital vertical talus – article published in TNOA Journal 2003, Vol. 29 2003. Author - Dr.P.Venkatachalapathy
- Functional outcome of intraarticular fractures of distal humerus through transolecranon approach – TNOA Journal 2010 , Vol. 36 2010 by Dr.P.NedunthuraiKoe, Prof.Balachandran, Prof.K.Raju , Presenting Author- Dr.R.T.Parthasarathy
- Osteochondroma of talus – A rare case report . Author - Prof. P.NedunthuraiKoe, Dr.C.Kamalanathan and Dr.Sampath Kumar TNOA Journal 2010
- Analysis of functional outcome in Acromioclavicular joint managed by modified Phemister Technique - TNOA Journal 2011 Vol.37 2011 by Prof. P.NedunthuraiKoe, , Dr.Amarnath Presenting Author- Dr.R.T.Parthasarathy
- Ray transportation for enchondroma finger – a case report TNOA Journal 2011, Vol.37 2011 by Prof. P.NedunthuraiKoe , Dr.S.Kumar , Dr.T.M.Manohar , Dr.N.Karthikeyan and Dr.Senthil Kumar
- Giant Cell Tumour in Diaphysis – A case report TNOA Journal 2011 Vol.37 2011 by Prof. P.NedunthuraiKoe , Dr.S.Kumar , Dr.T.M.Manohar , Dr.N.Karthikeyan and Dr.Senthil Kumar
4. Dr.Guruprasad won the best clinical case presentation award at TNOACON 2015
- Prof.P.NedunthuraiKoe was awarded Best Doctor award for his service to the differently abled people in 2010.
- Prof.R.T.Parthasarathy was awarded BestTeacher award by Tamil naduDr.MGR Medical University in 2012.
- Dr.RameshPrabhu and Dr.Amarnath won first prize in TNOACON PostGraduate Quiz in 2012
CME Programmes conducted
- CME on Recent Trends in Orthopaedics – 16.09.2007, Hotel Chenneys Gateway, Salem
- CME on Joint Replacement and Live Demonstration of TKR – 14.05.2009, GMKMCH, Salem
- CME on Management of difficult fractures – 20.06.2009, GMKMCH, Salem
- CME on Spine – 23.02.2011, GMKMCH, Salem
- CME on recent advances in Paediatric Orthopaedics –29-6-2012, GMKMCH, Salem.
- TNOACON TAMILNADU STATE ORTHOPAEDIC CONFERENCE conducted in Salem (along with Midwest ortho society)
1.TRAUMATIC THORACOLUMBAR FRACTURES TREATED WITH POSTERIOR STABILISATION AND AND PEDICLE SCREW FIXATION- A PROSPECTIVE STUDY - DR.R.MUGUNTHAN
2.A PROSPECTIVE STUDY OF FUNCTIONAL OUTCOME OF DISTAL THIRD TIBIAL FRACTURES TREATED WITH LOCKING COMPRESSION PLATE-DR.DINESH KUMAR
3.FUNCTIONAL OUTOME OF SERIAL CAST CORRECTION OF CTEV BY PONSETTI METHOD - DR.GURUPRASAD
4.FUNCTIONAL OUTCOME OF BICONDYLAR TIBIAL FRACTURES MANAGD WITH LOCKING COMPRESSION PLATE - DR.R.SUBRAMANI
5.MANGEMENT INFECTED NON UNION TIBIA BY LIMB RECONSTRUCTION SYSTEM - DR.A.M.SHANTHA KUMAR
6.ANALYSIS OF FUNCTIONAL AND CLINICAL OUTCOME OF INTRA ARTICULAR DISTAL RADIAL FRACTURES BY VOLAR BUTTERESS PLATING - DR.R.MOULIDHARAN
7.FUNCTIONAL AND RADIOLOGICAL OUTCOME OF EXTRA ARTICULAR PROXIMAL THIRD TIBIAL FRACTURES TREATED WITH PROXIMAL TIBIAL NAIL - DR.O.OBULI VIJAY SHANKAR
8.TO ANALYSE FUNCTIONAL OUTCOME CLINICALLY AND THE COMPONENT POSITION RADIOGRAFICALLY USING 2D CT FOR CASES WHO UNDERWENT THA - DR.K.VIJAYASHANKAR
No. of units : Three
Unit I: Monday & Thursday
Unit II : Tuesday & Friday
Unit III : Wednesday & Saturday
OP timing : 7.30AM to 12 noon
IN PATIENTS BED STRENGTH
Total no of teaching beds 80
||No. of Beds
||Orthopaedic Male Ward I
||Orthopaedic Female Ward
||Orthopaedic Male Ward II
OUT PATIENT CENSUS
||AVERAGE PER MONTH
IN PATIENT CENSUS
||AVERAGE PER MONTH
||AVERAGE PER MONTH
Type of surgeries performed:
Fracture fixation procedures
Total Hip and Total Knee Replacement surgeries