|::Departments : Non-clinical : Department of Biochemistry|
The department of Biochemistry, GMKMC, under the leadership of able professors and dedicated faculties, has played a monumental role in strengthening the foundations of countless medical students, for Biochemistry is one of the three basic subjects to be mastered in the first year of their under graduate study. The Clinical Biochemistry laboratory provides round the clock services in aiding the diagnosis and management of the ever increasing number of patients who attend the GMKMC Hospital from in and around Salem. The department also gives extensive training and imparts high degree of professional competency to Medical Laboratory Technology students, in addition to educating Nursing and paramedical students on the essentials of biochemistry.
The annual intake of MBBS students increased to 100, so did the intensity of academic activities focused on student excellence. Apart from regular class schedules, tutorial classes and Internal assessment exams in theory/ practicals, the students are subjected to weekly tutorial tests and regular assignments, prodding them to pursue their lessons with deeper understanding and thoroughness, and to enhance their performance in the University examinations.
As another means of intellectual stimulation, the students are required to present seminars/ symposia on various topics, using power point presentations, charts and other audio visual aids, during their period of study in the department.
The department also makes sure that the parents are informed regarding their children’s progress by sending the attendance and mark particulars of students every three months. The parents in turn respond by coming to the department periodically to meet the HOD and staff to discuss the performance of their children, which helps in encouraging them to perform better.
In addition, the department organizes and participates in horizontal and vertical Integrated teaching programs to provide the students a bird’s eye view of the concerned topic.
Integrated Teaching Programs of the academic year 2013-14, involving the departments of Anatomy, Physiology and Biochemistry:
||TOPIC OF DISCUSSION
||JAUNDICE AND LFT
||THYROID FUNCTION TESTS
||ATHEROGENESIS, CHOLESTEROL, LIPID PROFILE, NUTRITION & OBESITY, LIFE STYLE
CONTINUING LABORATORY EDUCATION CONDUCTED ON 25/06/2015
TOPIC : Clinical biochemistry laboratory instrumentation and quality control
CONTINUING MEDICAL EDUCATION CONDUCTED ON 24/07/2015
TOPIC : A clinician ‘s approach to renal function test interpretation
This CME has been awarded 5 credit points by Tamilnadu Dr M.G.R university ,Chennai under category 2
NOTEWORTHY PERFORMANCE IN MBBS UNIVERSITY EXMINATIONS
2008-2009 - 100% PASS
1999-2000 - UNIVERSITY FIRST- Dr.SUBITHA
2005-2006- UNIVERSITY FIRST- Dr.KARTHICK
2013-2014- no. of DISTINCTIONS- 15 ; HONOURS- 3
COURSES INCLUDED IN THE TEACHING CURRICULA
- MBBS 1st year
- DMLT 1st & 2nd years
- BSc Nursing – Basic and Post basic
- One month Orientation lectures are given to the following paramedical courses to teach them the basics of Biochemistry:
Emergency care technician
The department advocates staff- student interaction that nurtures research mindedness among the budding doctors. Over the years quality research projects have been undertaken by the students, many funded by the ICMR. The notable ones are listed below:
- Biochemical Profile in Nephrotic syndrome
- Glycosylated Hemoglobin in newly detected diabetic patients in various age groups- a prospective study
- Spot urine Creatinine:Protein ratio – can it replace 24 hours urine protein estimation
- Screening of Hemoglobin variations- a hospital based prospective study
- Serum & 24 hour urinary Calcium and Uric acid in Renal stone formers
- Microalbuminuria in Non Insulin Dependent Diabetes Mellitus
- Assessment of Calcium balance in nephrotic children
- Serum Lactic acid, lactate clearance and Uric acid levels in Acute Coronary Syndrome
Three post graduate seats has been sanctioned for the academic year 2016-2017
Three post graduates joined in M.D(BIO) for the academic year 2016 -2017
The clinical Biochemistry laboratory functions within the premises of the GMKMC Hospital, manned by qualified medical officers and efficient technical staff members. Blood samples are collected through the common collection center. The amply equipped central lab and the 24 hour emergency lab, operate to analyze the in-patient, out-patient, NCD (Non Communicable Diseases) OP, Master health check up and emergency cases effectively and have been instrumental in helping the clinicians treat the thousands of ailing patients the vast hospital caters to.
The lab investigations are performed in the fully and semi automated Biochemistry analyzers. The fully automated analyzer XL-640 has been imperative for the functioning of the lab due to its accuracy, precision, speed and economical usage of the reagents.
The clinical Biochemistry lab of GMKMCH is under the ACBI/CMC External Quality Assurance (EQAS) program of Christian Medical College, Vellore, keeping a check on the quality of the tests done. The results are sent every month and reports are obtained ensuring satisfactory performance of the lab.
LIST OF INVESTIGATIONS DONE
4. LIPID PROFILE -TOTAL CHOLESTEROL
5. -DO- - HDL CHOLESTEROL
6. -DO- -TRIGLYCERIDES
7. BILIRUBIN – TOTAL & FRACTIONS
8. TOTAL PROTEINS
9. ALBUMIN, AG RATIO
10. URIC ACID
17. SGOT (AST)
18. SGPT (ALT)
19. LACTATE DEHYDROGENASE (LDH)
20..CREATINE PHOSPHOKINASE (CPK)& (CPK MB)
22. ACID PHOSPHATASE (ACP)
23. ALKALINE PHOSPHATASE (ALP)
24. GAMMA GLUTAMYL TRANSPEPTIDASE (GGT)
26. GLUCOSE TOLERANCE TEST
27. 24 HOURS URINE PROTEINS
28. CEREBROSPINAL FLUID
29. ASCITIC FLUID
30. PLEURAL FLUID
Biochemical analysis of Renal/ Salivary/ Gall stones
STATISTICS OF THE INVESTIGATIONS DONE
|OP (including MHC, NCD)
||IP (including Emergency)
MONTHLY STATISTICS FOR THE YEAR 2015
· Periodical seminars are conducted in our department for 1 yr MBBS students.
· Medal examination conducted in our department for 1yr MBBS students in july 2016.
· Seminars, journal club, case discussion and lecture classes are held periodically for postgraduate students in our department.
· Post graduates won 3rd prize in quiz competition held at young ambicon 2016 conference held at Hyderabad.
· Poster presentation was done by two of our post graduates in young ambicon 2016 held at Hyderabad