IN OUR GMKMC HOSPITAL UTMOST IMPORTANCE GIVEN TO BMW MANAGEMENT AND HOSPITAL SANITATION
Plastic covers are strictly prohibited inside our hospital campus since march 2012 and patient attenders are not entertained to bring plastic covers into the hospital
AIM OF OUR BMW MANAGEMENT
To control and reduce the risk of HIV, HEPATITIS B, HEPATITIS C infections through needle stick injuries
To control hospital acquired infections and Tuberculosis.
AWARNESS PROGRAMME AND RALLY ARE OFTEN CONDUCTED TO ENSURE CLEAN AND SAFE ENVIRONMENT IN OUR HOSPITAL
ALL KINDS OF NEEDLE STICK INJURIES AND ADMINISTRATION OF PEP DRUGS ARE PROMPTLY DOCUMENTED IN ALL THE FIVE SITES OF OUR HOSPITAL
Heavy duty gloves and shoes has been provided to sanitary staff
45 fsws and 45 msws along with 10+15 contract sanitary workers are constantly engaged to ensure
sanitation in the hospital
BIOMEDICAL MANAGEMENT TEAM IN OUR HOSPITAL
DEAN→→ MEDICALSUPERINTENDENT AND DEPUTY SUPERINTENDENT
→ RESIDENT MEDICAL OFFICER AND NODALOFFICER BMW→HEAD OF
DEPARTMENT→UNIT CHIEF AND MEDICAL OFFICER IN CHARGE→ASSISTANT
RMO →STAFF NURSE GR. I AND GR.II→SEARGENT OR HEALTH
INFECTION CONTROL TEAM IN OUR HOSPITAL
1.DEAN 2.MEDICAL SUPERINTENDENT AND DEPUTY SUPERINTENDENT
3.RESIDENT MEDICAL OFFICER 4.VICE PRINCIPLE
5.HOD OF MICROBIOLOGY
1.HOD OF ALL DEPARTMENT 2. INFECTON CONTROL OFFICERS 3.INFECTION CONTROL STAFF 4. ARMO 5. BMW TRAINERS 6. MSO
7.MEDICAL AND SURGICAL STORE INCHARGE 8. OFFICE CLERK
BIO MEDICAL WASTE TRAINERS AND TRAINING:
Our GMKMC hospital is the Regional Training Centre for Salem,Namakkal and Karur
7 doctors and 11 staff nurse are involved in voracious training
We have completed 40 training sessions for in house members of GMKMC,completed 60 training sessions for
personnel from 3 districts
During training we focus and stress mainly on segregation of biomedical waste stress on using personal protective equipments ,stress on hand washing procedure
Intramural (internal) transport: The sanitation staff will be responsible for transporting the different coloured polythene bags in bins from the wash rooms, nursing station and treatment rooms of each ward on trolleys, from all floors and wings. The waste is taken through service ramp in covered trolleys to the ground floor; and from there to the BIO MEDICALWASTE Collection ROOM in the hospital campus. The general waste is deposited at the municipal dumps, BACK SIDE OF MICROBIOLOGY LAB. Sanitary Inspector is responsibility to CSW ROOM
Extramural (external) transport: The segregated bags are weighed recorded and handed over to the BMW Management Agency named ramkee agency outsourced by the hospital. The vehicle comes once in a day without fail.
Functions of Hospital Waste Management Committee AND NODAL OFFICER BMW
Role of Heads - Departments/ Labs / Units
- Circulation of Bio-Medical Waste Rules and guidelines
- Fixing responsibilities of individual professionals in these guidelines.
- To conduct awareness programs
- Training of Faculty
- To conduct training programmes for Medical, Nursing and Sanitation professionals.
- To formulate detailed plan of action in regard to HWMI.
Role of Resident Medical Officer
- They will be responsible for encouraging all staff, doctors, nurses, paramedics and other staff, to train in HWMI
- They will be responsible for implementation of the necessary guidelines.
- They will be responsible to teach and train students in their departments on the importance of BMWM principles and procedures.
- They shall ensure supervision of their wards, offices and labs are compliant to the guidlelines
- The RMO shall be the Officer In charge of HWMI implementation
- The RMO shall liaise with the Heads of Departments, Leads of Infection Control Committee and Biomedical Waste Management Committee and Matron.
- The RMO will be responsible for monitoring the program on a daily basis at all levels ie: generation, segregation, collection, storage, transportation, treatment and further disposal.
- The RMO shall be responsible for circulation of all policy decisions on hospital waste management
- The Nursing Superintendent Matron Grade I will designate one of the Deputy NS (Matron Grade II) for Hospital Waste Management
- The DNS will conduct surprise rounds and will review and evaluate the various aspects of hospital waste management at all levels from generation and segregation to final disposal.
- The DNS will attend the meetings of Hospital Waste Management Committee on behalf of the NS & co-ordinate the training of nurses on Hospital Waste Management with administration.
Regular rounds are conducted on
1.Monday:HODs of each department
2.Tues day and Thursday :RMO and ARMO
3.Wednesday : Dean
4. Friday : BMW nodal officer